Day 25 – January 25
I’m very late in getting my post up today . . busy, busy day. So, I’ll cut to the chase. I learned how to make little covers for milk crates. I found some at an estate sale for 75 cents, so I picked up a few. They were an ugly brown and dirty-looking. Now, I won’t say that my sewing studio is super clean, but there’s enough brown in all in the sewing cabinets, I wanted to be able to a) cover up the ugliness of the crates and b) brighten things up in the studio. There are lots of tutes online, but I decided to go with this one, by Laura over at Paint in my hair.
The tute was really very easy to follow and this was a quick project. I made four covers in about 1.5 hours, which included figuring out the pattern for my dimensions, choosing fabric, ripping and sewing.
The one thing I will say about the directions . . . the boxing corners formula was not right, at least not for my measurements. The box was too small, so I had to add a 1/4″ to the amount I chopped out. It still wasn’t perfect, but it worked pretty well. Also, I decided to put the crate inside the bag and stuff the extra down into the crate rather than the other way around. I wanted the bottom to be covered on the outside since that is going to be exposed. The inside will be covered up with the piles of fabric waiting to be organized.
I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. Oh, I forgot to mention that I used spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the inside of the crate. I’d never used that before, and was impressed with how well and how quickly things bonded. So there you go, TWO new things today: the milk crate covers and using spray adhesive!