Day 279 – September 22
What a busy day of learning I had today! Four new recipes and a new trick on my serger. Let’s start with the recipes. I’ve had sort of a mixed bag of luck with recipes as of late, and today was no different. For dinner, I made a carmelized onion tart using a recipe from my new Vegetarian cookbook. Since I was having company, I doubled the recipe and added mushrooms to one of the tarts. It turned out really pretty good. It did take FOREVER to carmelize 3 lbs of onions, though! It’s really a very simple recipe, with the only time-consuming step being the carmelizing.
And the recipe.
Carmelized onion tart from Vegetarian: a collection of over 100 essential recipes
7T unsalted butter
1lb 5oz onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cups heavy cream
salt and pepper
3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
8-inch ready-baked pastry shell
3/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
1. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently to avoid burning, for 30 minutes, or until well-browned and carmelized. Remove the onions from the skillet and set aside.
2. Beat the eggs in a large bowl, stir in the cream, and season with salt and pepper. Add the Gruyere and mix well. Stir in the cooked onions.
3. Pour the egg and onion mixture into the baked tart shell and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Put on a cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated oven, 375 F for 15-20 minutes until the filling has set and begun to brown.
4. Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes. The tart can be served hot or left to cool to room temperature.
For lunch, I gave the fam a little treat with some hot vanilla. The basic idea is you heat milk, add vanilla, add a dollop of chocolate whipped cream and viola. I’ll be honest, this sounded much yummier than it ended up being, in my opinion. I wasn’t all that impressed and think I’ll stick to my traditional hot chocolate. My family, on the other hand, thought it was AMAZING! So, I guess I’ll make it for them, just not for me.
I also tried another drink today from my drinks and desserts board on pinterest. It was crockpot pumpkin lattes. Sounds amazing, right? Milk, coffee, pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla all mixed together and cooked on high. There’s no nice way to say this, so I’ll just be blunt: my first thought when tasting it . . . “Yuck!” It was really quite bad. It just tasted like plain pumpkin. I realized I’d forgotten the sugar, so I added the 8T . . .definitely not enough, so I dumped in some powdered sugar. Still, I was completely uninspired by the drink. I didn’t want to just pitch 6 cups of milk down the drain, so I put the whole mixture in the fridge to deal with later. After letting it sit overnight, it was a little better, but still not crazy delish like I thought it would be. I added about 2T of chocolate syrup and that made it drinkable. It was actually pretty good as the liquid base for my oatmeal, so I’m thinking that’s how I’ll use it up.
As I mentioned before, we we expecting company this weekend, so I made a cake for Sabbath dinner. I saw this recipe for orange creamsicle cake requiring only 3 ingredients: cake mix, greek yogurt and orange juice. Normally I make my desserts from scratch, but laziness was prevailing and I thought it would be fun to give this a try. *sigh* Another flop. First of all, it tasted nothing like orange, definitely not creamy. Second, it just wasn’t all that great. It’s highly possible that my normally picky palette is even pickier in my 9-month preggo state, because everyone else that tried the cake thought it was delicious. *shrug* I think I’ll stick to my “from scratch” creations instead. I DO think that the cake would have been improved with some orange frosting. I had neither real butter nor cream cheese, so I couldn’t test my hypothesis.
The final new recipe was the main entree for Sabbath dinner; honey lime enchiladas Sounded yummy and seemed to be a nice change from the regular enchiladas I make. I substituted soy protein for the meat but basically kept to the recipe. Mine didn’t turn out looking all nice and golden. I’m thinking it’s because I didn’t bake it right away. Rather, it sat in the fridge overnight and then I cooked it after church. In any case, it was really quite good. I think next time I’ll use more honey and lime, and probably put some honey and lime in the sauce. Otherwise, this recipe was a winner! Phew, finally a success for today!
In preparation for the soon-to-arrive squish, I’ve been contemplating altering some shirt patterns to create some nursing shirts. Last night I started work on a dolman shirt that looked super easy. The pattern called for gathering. I know how to gather on a sewing machine, I’ve done it tons. But, I was going to be making this shirt on the serger, and I wanted to learn how to gather on a serger. I found two tutorials using different methods. I tried both, but couldn’t get one of them to work. This first tutorial from the blog Serger Emporium gives you very little control over the amount of gathering and you need to try it on practice fabric before doing it on the real thing. As it turns out, this was the only one I had any success with. I was really hoping to get this tute from Fiberosity to work since you pull on the threads and directly decide how much gathering to put in the fabric. Sadly, I couldn’t for the life of me figure out which two threads were the needle threads, and pulling on any of the threads individually yielded me nothing. I’m going to keep fiddling with this one, though. But for the time being, the tute from Serger Emporium is quite simple to follow and it works!
So there you have it, my very busy day of learning!