Learning each and every day

My quest to edify myself a bit every day

Archive for the tag “organization”

Memo Board

I’ve been on a board-making kick for the past few weeks. DH asked me where I got the idea to use picture frames as boards, rather than buying them premade. Honestly, I”m not sure that the idea came from one source. I’ve seen quite a few pics of picture frames being painted. I’ve seen other pics of frames being used for artwork or used to display nice fabric. I’m not sure that I’ve seen anyone using the actual glass from the frame as a writing surface. Maybe that was my innovation, maybe not. In any case, it’s working out really well.

The project for today was the memo board. I wanted a place where we could have an ongoing shopping list, a place to post general notes, a place to leave “hey, I went to XYZ place” notes for each other, and a place to hang my keys and wallet. Since the picture frame idea had been working so well, I decided to not mess up a good thing. Actually, truth be told, I did mess up. When I bought the frame for the menu board, I didn’t realize that the back had been stapled on in such a way that there was no way I was getting it off. I bought a different frame for the menu. Not wanting to waste the frame I’d already purchased, I then found another use for it, the memo board.

memo board

I did my usual trick of painting and then polyurethaning the frame. I bought some cork squares and glued two together. I wanted it to be thick enough that I could put a push pin in without it crashing into the glass. I centered that on the frame, then attached three command hooks along the bottom for my keys and such. The labels were made from . .. wait for it . . . . cereal boxes. I cut them up, then glued on some fabric. I used a glue stick, and then set it with an iron. Finally, I took a Sharpie and wrote the words. To be honest, I’m not thrilled with how the writing turned out. The Sharpie didn’t provide sharp lines, some of them sort of bled. But, it didn’t bother me enough to fix it, and the labels were easy enough to make that I can always redo them at a later time, if the spirit moves.

memo board closeup

Anyway, the board worked out really well, until the cork fell off of the glass. Apparently the sticky squares just weren’t sticky enough. No problem . . . I just hit the squares with some mega strong adhesive: E6000 (that is some seriously strong adhesive!). I’ll be surprised if the cork falls down again.

Another project crossed off of my list. The next one is a biggie, and I imagine it’s going to take me the better part of a week. Better get started, right?

Total time: 1.5 hours
Total cost: $15

Day 37 & 38 – February 6 & 7

Day 37’s post was going to be super late. Since the two days were related, it made sense to lump them into one post. For the past two days I’ve been working on turning some old moving boxes into good-looking storage boxes for our in-progress toy library. I used two tutorials to make the boxes. I used this tutorial to cover up the outside of the boxes. Initially, I didn’t bother with white glue and was just using the spray glue for the whole project. But I discovered that the spray glue wasn’t holding as well, so I broke out the Mod Podge, and that seemed to work much better. I wasn’t going to make basket liners since the boxes would just be filled with toys, but in the end, I decided that liners would look much better. The liner tute is here.

This was a remarkably easy project to do. Covering the outside of the box was super easy, since it didn’t involve any sewing. The basket liners were easy, as well, but it wasn’t as quick as the outside. All in all, it took me about 4 hours to get 6 boxes done. I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. Now, to see how well the toy library works out!

Post Navigation